Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Responsibility, or Things I Never Learned In College

(Note: I wrote this last night, but I dropped into my bed before I was able to hit "Publish Post.")

At the beginning of my third full year of teaching, I'm barely beginning to uncover its seedy underbelly. I did much better today, in terms of grading and organizing, despite my unruly sinuses. That said, I know that I still have a long way to go to reach some small goals. Due to my cold, I'm going to make this as short and bittersweet as I can.

1. You will never "catch up on" your paperwork. There is always more.
2. Learning how to say, "no," politely is just as important as learning how to say, "yes."
3. Knowledge does not necessarily come with experience. It also requires effort.
4. Expectation is overrated...and that includes expecting a budget, a reasonable schedule, and a classroom door that locks.

Ah, the NyQuil is kicking in, so my brain is checking out for the evening.

As an update from yesterday, I had a chance meeting with A.K.'s parents and his house principal today. It went quite well. After I left the office, I suddenly remembered the circumstances that landed him in my class in the first place. At the beginning of the year, he chose three other SPAR classes before mine. Actually, he was my student last year, before he was transferred into gym without warning...a disciplinary tactic. None of the other teachers would take him. I did. I'm still an idealist. I also took all of the other students that no teacher would touch, either due to full sections or personal distaste. It was terribly sad to see all these children getting passed over for personal reasons. No Child Left Behind, indeed. Yes, I'm aware that I completely manipulated that reference to suit my own needs. We self-serve all the time. Our tendency toward self preservation can be an advantage, because it provides a safeguard against burnout and doormat-syndrome. Then again, the same tendency can make people mean, suspicious, and even conspiratorial. Yes, all of the students I accepted are problematic. It has made my working life extremely challenging. It's a good thing that I like a challenge, but admittedly, I'm frustrated, right now.

No comments: