Monday, September 17, 2007

I never thought that I'd be writing an ed blog.

First post. Two jobs. Third year. Honestly, this is the last place I thought I would be. I tire of hearing story after story about union battles, unruly children, and uncooperative administrators. I loathe telling them, but I catch myself mid-complaint far too often. Among the small crop of new-ish teachers in Baltimore City, such whining is commonplace. We are uninformed, misled, and far too young to claim that we really know how this system works. Luckily, most of us are also far from being bitter and formulaic in our methods. That said, I lack a sense of renewal in my profession, and I hope to regain it, here. Think of this as an experiment in introspection, rather than a place to dump useless bickering. I want to be more dedicated to my craft, my art, my profession...because calling it anything less is a disgraceful mistake. If I pay more attention, maybe I can actually form some real opinions.

I chose the name because this is also a welcome distraction from a busy schedule. (Edutainment?) I'm working two jobs in the hopes of relocating to another city--more to follow--and paying off some debt. I average about 75 hours a week. I'm intentionally distracting myself to procure a surprising outcome. In other words, don't expect everything here to be revelatory or deeply philosophical. I like to make odd connections between completely different topics; it may sound as if I border on irrelevance. That's the beauty of the thing: you decide what is relevant. I'll just write.

No comments: